Friday, July 4, 2008

Plain Language - a gift from the gods

Small business writers, owners and general marketing staff often get bogged down in their own industry lingo and leave their customers behind. The 'big guys' are even more prone to this. The financial services industry has completely forgotten how to speak normal-people-language; technology companies, I think, prefer to never speak regular language in lieu of boggling all our minds and cell phone companies are happy with the bewilderment they create with terms and conditions.

But finally, I have had a wonderful language experience I think bears noting. And can be a terrific example for small business when building "the sound of your brand".

I lost all respect for my cell phone carrier a long time ago but had to wait until my contract was up to change to a new provider. The shop clerk understood why I wanted a change and recommended Virgin Mobile. I was prepared for the "same old, same old" but was in for a fantastic surprise. Not only are there no hidden fees - or for that matter no additional fees for things like access or set-up - but they actually speak the same language that I do. In fact, they speak a language anyone over the age of 12 could understand!

And the brilliance of all this, is they not only talk a comfortable level of language, but they write it too! Their brochures and guide books can be understood even by someone like me (I'm an audio-kinetic learner so the written word is sometimes a challenge if the language is high-falutin' or too much technical jargon). Heck, my eight-year-old neice Emily would be able to manage in the Virgin Mobile environment.

Now don't get me wrong. They don't talk down or in a condescending fashion (nothing makes me boil faster than that). It is the simplicity of it that really makes the mark.

The lesson for small business here is the KISS principle - Keep It Simple, Silly. (We don't like the word 'stupid' around here, so no need to write and tell me I got the acronym wrong)

Don't use four sentences when one will do. Don't get lost in your industry jargon - even if your industry doesn't seem to have a lot of technical terms. Your industry could be peopled by folks with masters degrees who just by nature write at a high-end university level.

People tend to scan material and get involved only if the scan has given them value. It is easy to scan two or three syllable words. Much above that and you run the risk of them scanning and getting the meaning all wrong. Courts have said that contracts must be written in plain language so the common man can understand them (not that contract writers are actually listening in most cases). If the courts are insisting on plain language, it only makes sense to make sure your small business insists on it too.

1 comment:

Cheryl Stephens said...

Bravo!

Plain language benefits all of us -- some are just too busy to figure that out. Must be too busy; can't be that stoopid?

Cheryl
http://plainlanguage.com